Sunday, October 12, 2008

Guerilla Gardening.

There's a lot of land out there, perfectly good for growing, that isn't being used. Until now I've mostly just been frustrated by it, but now that I've switched focus from feeding myself to feeding everyone I really can't afford to see such waste.

Embankments by the road are a good place to start. As public land they're sort of technically yours anyway, and really noone cares. For things like this, you really want to avoid your typical garden annuals. You're going to be planting and running, so you want plants that don't need much tending. Also, annuals tend to concentrate pollutants while perrenials don't, so perrenials are safer next to high traffic areas.

Empty lots make good community gardens if you can get permission. If you can't, then you want to go the opposite route of the mebankments and plant quick growing annuals, so you aren't out to much when you get kicked off.
---
Having a group of young boys at your disposal is very useful. This is why I became a scoutmaster a decade ago, but there are serious limits on what you can do as a scout outing. The boys I found skulking in my garden (Mickey, Fred and Jimmy) aren't scouts though. If they were they wouldn't have been skulking. So I'm putting their skulking to good use.
---
If there is one thing I hate more than any other waste of land, it's golf courses. Fucking Golf courses. Huge wastes of land, water and other resources put down the drain so a few rich people can play the most boring game ever. I think when it comes to human joy produced per acre, golf courses rank somewhere below insane asylums and jails. If we could turn a single golf course into a full permaculture farm, we could feed hundreds of people. We could probably even keep it so you could play golf through the farm, if we cared, but those country club types don't care either, so why bother?

A full permaculture development would only work if we had full access. Since we're sneaking in at night, we'll have to make due. Tonights Food Bombs are blackberry plants and seed balls. The blackberry plants I have are so invasive, they are illegal in several states. Normally you want to aviod invasive plants because they require a lot of work to keep in check. They also fuck up the local ecosystem. Hoever, in an urban environment, there's no ecosystem to fuck up, so I don't really feel bad about it. The seedballs contain all kinds of weedy food plants, like dandelion and my mother's own variety of tomatoes (after nearly 15 years, she's created a tomato variety that self-seeds so effectively it competes with grass for open soil on our land). The greenway proper is to pesticided and mowed, but the rough areas and the the wooded parts are less tended.

For good measure, we're pouring some quick drying concrete in the holes.

Because really, I don't expect to actually create much food like this. But maybe I can harrass the golf courses until they close shop. If the course needs constant weeding, reseeding, and fixing, if it's out of commission too often and noone can play, then maybe they'll close business and I can properly take over the land. Or maybe I just hate the resource-hogging rich people who play there, and want to get back at them. Either way. Constructive work is done in the daylight. Nighttime is for other endeavors.

No comments: