Friday, October 17, 2008

Superstruct,: We're doing it wrong.

I'm gonna take a moment here, out of game, to talk about some game-related things. Most conspicuously, I've noticed that play has slowed down a LOT this week. Collectively, our ping value has gone south. Now, that's a problem obviously, and so the big question is why? And then, How can we get things moving again?

OK, so people are busier during the week. And the initial starting sprint is done, and we're jogging now. But I also think that some of it is people deciding this isn't as fun as they thought it would be. I think there are a few problems, in the way we're playing the game, and in the game itself, that are causing this drift of attention away from superstruct among it's players.

1: We're Superstructing wrong.

I've been trying to figure out why my Facilitators superstruct is so popular and why my Exchange superstruct isn't. This is a big deal for me, because the Exchange is, in my own opinion, my world-changing idea, the big one, and a facilitator is a type of exchange user, someone who makes connections between people. Honestly, I think that facilitators could be replaced by sufficiently well programmed bots. So why did that superstruct get so much attention, when noone wanted to help me flesh out the Exchange?

Foundation recently noted that only 10% of all SEHIs are actually part of a superstrut. I think it's worse than that. I think only maybe 10% of superstructs are Actually superstructs. Most of them, like Zombie Squad or Emergency Permaculture or The Nightsoil Collection Service, are really just structs (I'm sticking to my own contributions so as not to offend anyone else). Now, there's nothing wrong with being a struct. We need structs to build superstructures out of. But we need to recognize the difference, because our goal isn't to flood the site with structs, but to make superstructs from them.

The struct is either a group, like Zombie Squad, or an idea, like The Exchange. Up until now, most of us have been posting our ideas for solutions, and trying to form groups around those ideas. We put it out there, and people rave it, and join it, and maybe start adding little improvements, but once you get your one badge for it, there's little point in continuing to revisit it. Now some of us get attached to our ideas and want to stick with them, but the truth is that everyone else also came to the game with their own ideas, and they want to work on theirs as well. This week I sat with all my ideas out there waiting for someone to come along and work on them so I could start a dialog, and I think a lot of others did too. Oddly enough, it's the ideas like the exchange or emergency permaculture that are the most open to being revised, that are the least attractive for others to work with. If the struct invites or needs a lot of participation, it gets ignored for fully formed ideas. Again, this is because people are inherently more interested in their own ideas, and want to spend their creative efforts mostly on their own stuff.

Now superstructing, what we should be doing, is taking these structs and arranging them in interesting ways. Out of all my structs, only Facilitators is really a superstruct because only Facilitators deals with using other people's ideas. It's still kinda awesome in that it tries to get your to work entirely with other ideas, but even if you are combining your own idea with someone elses, that's superstructing. And a lot of other people have gotten this, because the second wave of superstructs consisted heavily of people creating superstruct aides, things like blog aggregators and irc channels and Wikis, that help people communicate. Facilitators is one of these kinds of superstructs too, maybe the one that started the trend. But I've seen darned few, if any, actual superstructs. That may just be because noone has made one using an Idea of mine, so I hadn't noticed.

2: Lack of dynamic conflict.

Me and a few others were a little dissapointed in the first round of updates. Yes, they were interesting stories, and we enjoyed them. That's why they got so many raves. But what I think a lot of us were expecting were things more like the stories avantguard added later, like assembly12. Now I loved assembly12, which is why I wrote like 3 posts condemning it within an hour. I saw in them something I could react to, strongly, something I would hate in real life. I saw conflict.

The actual updates didn't give me much, if anything, to react against. Or with, or too. They were something good to read, but they didn't suggest more.

This is a GM and Player issue. So far a lot of stories have been self-contained. I know mine have been. The GMs could be providing us with global new information for us to react to. Updates like "REDS has spread to most North american cities," "US makes importing foreign ethanol illegal." or "ReDS victims and Exiles being rounded up into camps." But WE can be making those stories too. And we Should be, and we aren't. At least, not enough. This is primarily a hero vs. environment situation, no real villians, just terrible things to fix. Unless that environment starts reacting to us somehow, there's not much to do.

3: The site doesn't work.

At least, not the way it should to encourage collaborations. I'm not really a site designer, just a user, but here's my problems, in terms of that core issue.

The search function is terrible, and we have no good way to see all superstructs at once. We see 3 or so at a time. This isn't good. Coversations are too disconnected, and the same search problem presents itself. There's no organization to anything. And I'm having trouble seeing WHY this is, when formats exist that you can easily use without these issues. WHY isn't conversations a forum? Superstructures are these kinda semi-wikis, without the full benifits. A lot of superstructs have been made merely to combat these problems, but to make full use of them we have to link to them from the main site, and duplicate a lot of effort.
-----

What to do about these? Well, in reverse order: I don't know if a stie converstion midstream is possible, but I'd like to see the superstructures pages be actually Wiki-formatted, with a page that simply lists all existing structs, and conversations converted into a forum.

I'd like to see it possible for a single superstruct to earn multiple badges, to encourage people to keep working one them after they've gotten one. Maybe I'm selfish here, I'm kinda upset that I've only gotten 4 points for the most highly rated superstruct in the game.

I want to see people forming conflicts. Either create stories that advance the environment in big ways that others can react to, or find someone with a vision that opposes your own and start a good natured fight. Vinay, I'm looking at you. You've mentioned that DCAR and Guembe could have a great fight, get to it!

And start looking at what ideas other people have contributed, and do something with them. If you have an idea that needs work, don't assume other people are going to work on it. I know I'm going to re-edit the exchange to be a finished idea, that other people can start using in their own structs. Get out there and see what ideas other people have put out there, and instead of joining them, write stories including them.

And for the love of the earth, lets get back to work!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superstruct is dying because we have no way to decide what is realistic and what is completely bonkers nonsense. I myself would be very interested whether or not my ideas are (a) popular, (b) palatable, (c) realistic.

Say I wrote an article about people committing suicide more. I can imagine people locking down mentally over such a grizzly issue, and hence effectively ignoring the idea, whether or not it is realistic.

Similarly, many ideas in superstruct hang in the void, completely not linked to an objective reality. I have been more or less attacking the merits of decentralized gardening on a whole list of arguments. yet whatever I say people remain locked in some kind of 'back-to-nature" sentimentalist rationale and can't open up to criticism to their default (geneticly hardwired ?) approach to crisis.

If I say victory gardens wont work on the large scale (and are effectively only a cosmetic solution) people freak out and accuse me of not offering a solution or being a cynic. My arguments aren't even looked at and nobody attempts to dismantle them.

Yet the prevailing idea in western culture right now is that a reduction in societal complexity - stepping down so to speak - is a real solution.

I say this is equivalent to global suicide.

Kerry said...

I think there is a mean (and I mean that in the stingy way not "he hit me!" meancompetitiveness seeping in to.

As soon as my score jumped (how did that happen?????) people stopped raving me.

I think people are concerned about it being a "game" and they want to "win" and they've forgotten already that winning means we all work together.

If I had to hazard a guess, my score is high because I am actively contributing to the superstructs I joined (and I'm still iffy on the whole permacultureinabox idea BUT I TILL RAVED IT. If it caught my attention and I gave it more than a passing thought I RAVE IT!

I'm going to say it here - my EDUCYCLE hasn't gotten any raves - but it is LIVE already - I got a HUGE number of people talking about it in real life yesterday and support - I'll have a face to face space to promote it within a month through our local farmer's market and today its hoing live in 2008 online too. Yet nobody's joining and while I've contacted everyone who joins individually and asked them to start their own EDUCYCLE - just in game terms not for real! superstruct in their region none have.

I'm not really discouraged because I'm playing this game with the inteht of shaking up my 40 year old brain to extend what I'm doing to be a help not a hinderance in where the world is going.

Hey Dagon I work from where I am. The biggest farm in my area in real time is 500 acres - and that's a patchwork 500 acres cobbled together by buying farms as they died in the past. Small scale family farms and agriculture is what I realistically know. I also know that the number of small farms has risen here. I'm not anti GMO crops but they need a lot more study before they're released into the "wild". People are starting WHERE THEY ARE and if you're a soccer mom today turning that 1/4 acre suburban lot into a garden makes fine sense and a lot more sense than pretending that in 11 years you'll suddenly be a physicist. *grin* someone playing is a single mom going back to art school - art school is her defining moment and...she knows artists and by some strange game mechanic - central bankers - and her superstructs are all about desert reclamation. To me THAT is playing the game in an unrealistic way.

Victory gardens won't save the day because food isn't the main problem with north america - consumer culture is. I know its propaganda (my favorite kind) but The Story of Stuff should be playing on wide screens everywhere people congregate to shop...that might help a bit.

By the way...Dagon I live in an area where the closest shopping centre is an hour away...for me it isn't back to nature - I'm already there...it's why I try to work around starry eyed idealism about homesteading. But its a lot more effective to arm people with knowledge than to knock down their ideas.

WorldWithoutToil said...

Dagon: I totally agree with you on the realistic/bonker's nonsense thing. In Some ways, Raves should be doing that, but it would work better on a Reddit type system where every listing self-organized based on raves. Superstructs do this, but you have to check it. We should have New/Most raves views on stories too, and the default view should be like reddit, basing it on both newness and raves.

As for the discussion on small scale gardening, the site as it is really sucks for having a discussion. I'd like to have that discussion with you, I think maybe you and I could take it to email, and them maybe post the transcript as a story or something.

MudMama: One problem is that you can't rave a group you've joined. Now that we KNOW that, it will probably even out, but I know I joined a lot of groups without raving early on. Perhaps a join should automatically count as a rave, and this should be backtracked so that all groups have their current members added as raves too.

Tinkergirl said...

Coming to Superstruct fresh today, I can agree that the site is a complete mess. For a long time I kept wondering how to get at all the discussions at once, instead of just some of them in a tiny sidetab. that drove me mad and almost drove me away - it's terrible design!
At the moment, simply getting to a point where the site will 'let' you see what people are up to, and looking for feedback on, is a fight in itself. I'd love it if it were in a forum style instead.

As for competitiveness - I fully intend to simply join superstructs and not create my own. Odd though that it's easier to click a button and make one, than it is to see what others have created.

rtgarden2019 said...

The fantasy of nostalgia for "a time that has never been" is a trace element of our current fascist environment. People think all their needs will be met if only they can create a commune in the woods with property blah blah. I applaud anyone who tears up their lawn and begins to live in their own house and understand that nature has very little to offer you.

People are wondering whether their own basic needs will be met so they are falling off of altruism. If they really understood how little it takes to just get by, they would understand that lifting up the condition of the mendicant farmer worldwide will keep them better fed than just purely working the localtarian angle.